25 Timeless Fashion Lessons from Audrey Hepburn Every Woman Needs to Know
Audrey Hepburn is one of the 20th Century’s most heralded style icons, and for good reason! She had consistent, classic style throughout her life, sticking to simple ensembles that ooze class.
Here are 25 timeless fashion advice from the icon herself...
1. Sometimes, a simple dress is all you need. You can let your natural features steal the attention.
2. Gloves add a touch of sophistication to any outfit. Hepburn’s cutesy look was elevated by her immaculate white gloves.
3. Always accessorize and protect your face with a stylish woven hat — even if you’re just cleaning the pool.
4. Striped t-shirts and cropped haircuts can still look super feminine. Hepburn’s confidence made this boyish look shine.
5. Wearing a cozy nightgown is completely acceptable. You don’t always have to wear skimpy things to bed — comfort takes precedence!
6. A belt cinched in the middle of a dress creates a lovely shape. Hepburn amped up her plaid dress with a tight belt and an awesome beret.
7. You can wear a crown, even if you’re not royalty. Hepburn knew that every woman should be treated like a princess.
8. Don’t be afraid to rock a bow tie and a suit. Hepburn wore menswear to a T. Her heavy eyeliner and lipstick kept things sexy.
9. Collared shirts never go out of style. Furthermore, collared shirts and striped capris make for a great daytime look.
10. Your bangs don’t always have to be worn straight across your forehead. Hepburn played around with her’s for an edgy, asymmetrical, cut-up look.
11. You can never go wrong with a bold red lip. Hepburn knew this essential trick of the trade. (We also can’t get over her amazing gold armband!)
12. Simple color blocking creates a classic look. Just add some fun, chunky sandals and eye-catching earrings, like Hepburn did.
13. Take off your heels to play sports. But you can keep on that practical yet adorable summer dress...
14. Fun, bold prints are always a go. Hepburn’s feminine makeup and wide-brimmed hat helped to balance out the strong pattern on this dress.
15. Women can wear loafers just as well as men. Hepburn’s penny loafers looked adorable paired with her anorak and head scarf.
16. Sunglasses work with literally any outfit — even formal ones. In this infamous picture, Hepburn exuded “cool” by pairing Wayfarer-style shades with her jeweled-out LBD.
17. Take a fashion risk, and wear that unique item. If Hepburn was anything, she was definitely an individual. Case in point: this peculiar hat. We think it worked!
18. Find a classic and practical bag. Hepburn’s simple tweed purse can be worn everyday with a wide variety of outfits.
19. In order to really stand out, opt for a different take on your wedding dress. Hepburn chose to wear a short white dress and her signature head scarf at her wedding to Andrew Dotti. Opting out of the traditional gown reflected her unique style.
20. Skip the bikini, and wear a bright one-piece bathing suit. You’ll turn more heads in this often over-looked bathing suit choice.
21. Expertly placed dark eyeliner can soften up a short haircut. Hepburn’s face always looked ultra feminine because she knew how to harness the power of great eye makeup.
22. Babydoll dresses still look great as you mature. Just make sure you don’t pick a dress that’s too juvenile-looking, but rather one that is tastefully youthful — like Hepburn’s classy flowered gown.
23. Long lashes look ravishing on older women. Think you’re getting too old to flaunt mascara? Think again. Hepburn proved that age is just a number with her beautiful lashes.
24. Your senior years are the perfect time to break out the intricate jewelry. While it can sometimes look a little overdone on younger women, flashy earrings and necklaces add spark to a sophisticated lady’s ensemble. (As Holly Golightly put it, “It’s tacky to wear diamonds before you’re 40.”)
25. The final and most important lesson: Wear clothes you can be yourself in.