Pages

Saturday, 4 July 2020

According to its website, The PlumpJack Group owns and operates Balboa Cafe in San Francisco, a ski lift and lodge in Squaw Valley, several bars in the San Francisco Bay Area, and other properties. Tax filings from 2018 show that Newsom and his wife own stock in PlumpJack Group. The couple earned a combined salary of nearly $600,000 in 2018, according to Fox 26 TV. Shortly after Newsom was elected governor in November 2018, he moved to place his ownership interest in PlumpJack Group into a blind trust. Newsom also holds a stake in The Getaway, a boutique hotel located in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California +11 Newsom also holds a stake in The Getaway, a boutique hotel located in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California Newsom transferred title and control of the businesses to a family friend, Shyla Hendrickson, a lawyer and certified public accountant who agreed to serve as a trustee. Under the terms of the blind trust, Hendrickson has total authority over the assets, including the power to sell off Newsom’s stake without consulting him, according to the Los Angeles Times. By law, Hendrickson is not allowed to talk to Newsom about business considerations. Newsom’s sister, Hilary Newsom Callan, is president of PlumpJack Group, an arrangement that is legal under state law. The governor is permitted to maintain his ownership stake in the company. He is also allowed to sign into law bills that benefit him financially as long as all residents of the state derive the same benefit. California enters July 4th weekend with many beaches closed as governor urges residents to wear masks and avoid gatherings Newsom urged Californians on Thursday to turn to their 'better angels' and use common sense by wearing masks and skipping traditional gatherings with family and friends during the holiday weekend - a message echoed by local officials who previously sparred with the governor over his virus orders. Infections and hospitalizations are rising rapidly in many parts of California and at a news conference Newsom was pressed repeatedly on whether the state is being aggressive enough in enforcing his health mandates, especially an order to wear masks that was put in place two weeks ago. Newsom previously noted he has established teams of state regulators to target businesses that don’t enforce the mask rule or follow other requirements for social distancing and hygiene. Surfers walk from the water along a closed and empty Venice beach on Friday +11 Surfers walk from the water along a closed and empty Venice beach on Friday State authorities also sent letters Thursday to every employer - about 350,000 businesses - warning that failure to implement the face coverings order could result in fines and potential criminal prosecution. But the governor acknowledged authorities can only do so much when it comes to the behavior of individuals outside business settings. 'We're not going into everybody's backyard and enforcing,' he said. 'We're just encouraging people to be safe, to be thoughtful about themselves and others.' Dr. Mark Ghaly, the state’s top health official, called the holiday weekend a 'big deal' for efforts to contain the virus and urged people to behave differently than they did on Memorial Day weekend, when many gathered socially. Authorities say that behavior helped spur the latest surge of cases. 'This is another time for Californians to pay attention to what happened over the last month and make a different set of decisions now,' he said. Across the state, local officials largely parroted the governor’s words about the importance of personal responsibility. But they also took action. Along the coast, many beaches and parks were closed or access was restricted. Fireworks shows were canceled up and down the state. In West Hollywood, Santa Monica and Monterey, officials announced they were ready to fine people who don’t wear masks. People crowd Pacific Beach in San Diego ahead of the Fourth of July holiday on Friday +11 People crowd Pacific Beach in San Diego ahead of the Fourth of July holiday on Friday Coco Cocozzella, who wore a black face covering while outside in Sacramento, said masks are 'kind of a pain' but she doesn’t mind the state mandating she wear one. At home, she said, she keeps hers on a hook with her keys to remember to take it when she goes out. She said fines are a step too far but people who don’t wear a mask should be 'stopped and warned.' 'You should get a little scared,' she said. California had been on a good trajectory with its virus efforts until mid-June. As infections rose markedly, Newsom took action this week. Los Angeles and 18 other counties with the most troubling virus increases were forced to shutter bars, forbid inside restaurant dining and close movie theaters, among other things. More than 2,200 additional cases of COVID-19 were reported Thursday in Los Angeles County. In addition, nearly 1,900 people were hospitalized - the largest number since early May - and 28 per cent of them are in intensive care, the county reported. 'Unfortunately, we continue to see negative trends in the data and we urgently need to make a change in the trajectory,' Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said. 'We must make sure we are not unnecessarily spending time outside with others and use this opportunity as a countywide reset. We need everyone’s help.' San Diego, the state's second-largest county, previously wasn’t among the 19 counties - including virtually all of Southern California - that are on the state watch list. But local authorities said Thursday the state had notified them that San Diego County would join the list Friday following a series of outbreaks this week. In neighboring Orange County, where officials had fought Newsom’s order to close down beaches and the health officer resigned due to harassment that followed her order to wear face coverings, Supervisor Michelle Steel and Sheriff Don Barnes advised people to wear masks. The sheriff said his deputies will urge voluntary compliance rather than use aggressive enforcement. Meanwhile, in Santa Clara County in the San Francisco Bay Area, Public Health Officer Sara Cody announced hair and nail salons, gyms and other businesses could open by July 13, even as the county followed state orders to close bars and other establishments because its cases are rising. Cody was the architect of the stay-at-home order in the Bay Area that preceded Newsom’s statewide order by several days in March. Cody criticized Newsom’s rapid reopening of the economy in early June. But she now says that even with increases in cases and hospitalizations in her county, she felt comfortable setting a date to reopen additional businesses. The new order is about 'acknowledging that we have been sheltering in place for a very long time' and need 'something sustainable because we're going to be at this for a while,' she said. Newsom also announced a new public awareness campaign with billboards, TV and radio ads and social media posts urging Californians to wear face coverings and reminding them of the danger of the virus. +11 +11 One ad shows a person breathing on a ventilator with a mask that reads: 'Even without symptoms, you can spread COVID-19. And people can die. People like your mom.' 'If you think this hasn't or wont impact you because it hasn’t impacted you, I hope to disabuse you of that,' Newsom said during his news conference. The ads are starting in English and Spanish and will eventually run in seven languages. The effort also includes social media ads and will focus specifically on Black and Latino communities, which are being disproportionately impacted by the virus. The new campaign is funded in part by Silicon Valley groups and philanthropists, including Tom Steyer, a former Democratic presidential candidate and head of Newsom’s Task Force on Business and Jobs Recovery.

  • Liya Gumusoz has acute myeloid leukaemia, a rare and aggressive type of cancer
  • Doctors said she must have a bone marrow transplant by end of July to survive
  • She was transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London amid pandemic
  • Only 2 per cent of the UK population are on the blood stem cell donor register
A mother is desperately pleading for blood stem cell donors to come forward after her 21-month-old daughter with rare leukemia was given just three weeks to find a life-saving match.
Liya Gumusoz has been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia, a rare and aggressive type of cancer which affects one in 3,100 people.
Her parents, Ufuk and Hatice Gumusoz, received the devastating news when doctors said Liya, their first and only child, must have a bone marrow transplant by the end of July if she is to survive.
Liya Gumusoz, pictured, has been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia, a rare and aggressive type of cancer which affects one in 3,100 people
Liya Gumusoz, pictured, has been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia, a rare and aggressive type of cancer which affects one in 3,100 people
Liya's parents, who are originally from Turkey but now live in Twickenham, first noticed something was wrong at the start of the year.
Liya became tired more easily, lost her appetite and had unusual bruising on her body.
It was when Liya began to have difficulty walking that her parents knew something was not right.
Mrs Gumosoz said: 'It was on a Sunday morning, she woke up again screaming and wasn't able to move at all.'
After searching online for possible reasons, Mrs Gumosoz found that it could be leukaemia.
'I was praying that it wasn't leukaemia,' a tearful Mrs Gumosoz said. 'She was absolutely fine until then.'
Mrs Gumosoz said she has spent only nine nights at home in the past three months while Liya has had various tests and scans in hospital.
Liya was transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London as the pandemic took hold, which meant only one parent was allowed to see their daughter. 
Ufuk and Hatice Gumusoz pictured with their 21-month-old daughter Liya
Ufuk and Hatice Gumusoz pictured with their 21-month-old daughter Liya
The worried couple faced a terrible wait for news on their daughter's condition, but their worst nightmares were realised when a hematologist confirmed Liya has leukaemia.
Mrs Gumosoz said: 'I couldn't breathe, I felt like my heart had been stabbed over and over again.
'I just sobbed, all I wanted to do was leave the room and go and cuddle my baby.'
Liya began chemotherapy, but it is not enough to beat the leukaemia.
Due to the aggressiveness of the cancer, her only chance of survival is to find a blood stem cell donor.
Only two per cent of the UK population are on the blood stem cell donor register, and the number of people signing up as potential donors has drastically fallen in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Currently, there is nobody on the register who is a close enough genetic match to Liya.
Mrs Gumosoz said: 'I know that it's a tough time that we're going through with all this lockdown, but all these kids they need blood transfusions and they need just basic help really.
'People should donate, it's only their blood, their stem cells, it's a very basic procedure.
'It only takes a couple of hours to do it and you can save one person's life.
'It could save her, there's no way she will survive.'
If you are aged between 17 and 55 and in general good health, you can request a home swab kit to become a potential blood stem cell donor here.

No comments:

Post a comment