- The stores in Barkly Square and The Footscray have both been closed down
- Two staff Kmart members have tested positive for the coronavirus
- Kmart has confirmed the two confirmed coronavirus cases are not linked
Two Kmart stores on the border of Melbourne's lockdown zones have closed after unrelated staff members tested positive for coronavirus.
The discount variety stores at Barkly Square, in Brunswick, was closed on Saturday, as was a store in Footscray.
Kmart has confirmed the two situations are not linked and the shops are being deep cleaned.
The closures follow a similar scare at a Woolworths store in Balmain, in Sydney's inner west, this week where a staff member tested positive after returning from Melbourne.
The worker had already tested positive in hotel quarantine and he went to get a test after his symptoms returned.
'At Kmart, the health and safety of our team and customers is our highest priority,' a Kmart spokesperson said.
'As soon as we were made aware, we immediately closed the store as a safety precaution and commenced a thorough sanitisation of the store.
'We are working closely with the Department of Health and will continue to keep our team and customers informed.'
More Melburnians could soon be locked down if they live in suburbs that have a high number of COVID-19 cases.
Health Minister Jenny Mikakos on Thursday revealed four postcodes with the highest number of new cases in the past week - 3064, 3060, 3047 and 3031.
While 10 suburbs in 3064, 3060 and 3047 were locked down earlier this week, the neighbouring suburbs of Flemington and Kensington in 3031 have not.
The inner suburbs could be next in line for stay at home orders as Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said on Friday that the lockdown could be extended to other areas.
Victoria is currently facing 442 active cases of COVID-19 but only half of the cases are contained within the 10 lockdown postcodes, which included 36 suburbs.
More than 880,000 COVID-19 tests have been done in the state since the start of the year, with 24,430 tests conducted on Thursday alone.
There have been 2,368 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Victoria since the pandemic began.