- A 12-year-old girl under the care of Child Safety is homeless in the Gold Coast
- The teen was ousted from her foster home and has been sleeping on the streets
- Following two suicide attempts, the youth left hospital with no where to go
- In her latest Facebook post, she chillingly wrote about how she 'wanted to die'
- The LNP have called for an independent inquiry into the child safety system
A homeless 12-year-old girl who is back on the streets after leaving hospital following two suicide attempts has penned a heartbreaking Facebook post about wanting to die.
The Gold Coast teenager, who is under the care of Child Safety, has slept in tents and toilet blocks since March after being ousted from her foster care home of ten years.
Since the removal, she has become a member of a teen gang, been sexually assaulted, and tried to take her life twice.
In her latest post online, she offered a chilling glimpse into the devastating toll her tough circumstances have taken.
'I stopped looking both ways before crossing the street and I stopped counting the pills before taking them and I didn’t do it BC (because) I wanted to kill myself I did BC I stopped careing (sic) wether (sic) I died or not,' she wrote, the Gold Coast Bulletin reports.
After being ordered out of home, she was taken to a residential care facility - accommodation for the most troubled youths.
During that time, she joined the teen gang, where she was sexually assaulted and self harmed.
She lost her bed in March after a violent altercation involving a friend from the gang broke out inside the home.
She resorted to living in a tent on a beach, until she was moved on by council workers, then shifted to sleeping outside shops in Southport and a public toilet in Eagleby.
In June, she was hospitalised after developing a staph infection on her back.
Several attempts to reunite with her former carers have failed, but family friends say she still wants to return.
The LNP have now called for an independent inquiry into the child safety system.
It is understood Child Safety recently gave her permission to stay with the friend’s mother and later organised hotel accommodation.
However, last Friday they had no accommodation and were forced to sleep in a toilet.
Family friends said they enrolled into school for three days, but the girl dropped out after she being teased by peers for not having 'proper family'.
Mudgeeraba MP Ros Bates believes it will be another 24 hours before accommodation can be secured for the child.
'It’s been almost two months since Deb Frecklington and the LNP released our plan to overhaul the child safety system and introduced a Child Protection Force and yet nothing has changed,' Ms Bates said.
'This poor 12-year-old girl is yet another tragic example of Labor’s broken system.
The girl has been given a phone.
Child Safety Minister Di Farmer previously said she cannot comment on individual cases but said it was 'distressing' and heartbreaking to hear tragic stories of young women in such terrible circumstances.