- Disturbing video captured the shooting that left an unidentified man dead in Portland on Saturday night
- In the footage the victim appears to be following two people down a street when two gunshots ring out
- The apparent gunman and his friend flee as the victim staggers away before collapsing on the pavement
- The victim was wearing a Patriot Prayer baseball cap, suggesting he was a supporter of the far-right group
- Witnesses said the victim had been macing people prior to the shooting
- Fans of President Trump had gathered in Clackamas on Saturday afternoon to cruise around Portland
- They were met by Black Lives Matter activists, leading to scuffles, arguments and pepper spray being used
- It's unclear if the deadly shooting was linked to fights between Trump supporters and counter-protesters
- WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES
Disturbing video shows the moment a man wearing a Patriot Prayer baseball cap was shot and killed in Portland as tensions between pro-Trump supporters and Black Lives Matter counter-protesters boiled over.
In the footage, recorded by videographer Justin Dunlap, the victim appears to be following two other people down a street before two gunshots ring out and a cloud of smoke erupts at the source.
The person who appeared to fire the shots and a handful of other people nearby then fled out of view as the victim staggered for a few feet and collapsed on the ground.
Several people are seen rushing over when a car turns a corner and skids to a stop in front of the victim.
It remains unclear if the shooting at was linked to fights that broke out as a caravan of about 600 vehicles was confronted by counter-demonstrators in the city's downtown area.
Police said the caravan had left the area around 8.30pm, and officers heard gunshots around 15 minutes later and arrived at the shooting scene 'within a minute'.
The victim, who has not yet been identified, was shot in the chest and died at the scene.
An Associated Press freelance photographer who heard three gunshots and then observed police medics attending to the victim said it was a white man wearing a hat with the insignia of Patriot Prayer, a right-wing group whose members have frequently clashed with protesters in Portland in the past.
Scroll down for video
Detectives have yet to release any information about the shooting suspect and said they are still looking for more evidence.
Police acknowledged that several images and videos have been posted on social media - including Dunlap's - but did not say whether they'd been verified.
Dunlap claimed that the victim had been macing people prior to the shooting.
In his video someone could be heard shouting that the man was a 'motherf**ker who has been pushing people and jumping people the entire time'.
'That guy has been f**king with people the entire time,' the witness shouted.
The shooting took place on Southwest 3rd Avenue and Alder Street - along the main throughfare which runs through the heart of Portland, past Portland State University.
Police cautioned the public against drawing conclusion about what sparked the violence.
'It is important for detectives get a full and accurate picture of what happened before, during, and after the shooting,' a police statement said.
'If anyone was a witness, has video, or has information about the homicide, they're asked to contact the primary detectives.'
Police Chief Chuck Lovell added: 'I ask everyone to give the detectives time to do their important work before drawing conclusions about what took place.
'This violence is completely unacceptable and we are working diligently to find and apprehend the individual or individuals responsible.'
Mayor Ted Wheeler said in a text message to Oregon Public Broadcasting that he was 'aware of the situation.'
'Gathering information now,' he continued. 'Will be transparent with public. Asking for people to remain calm and not add to this tragedy.'