- Andre Conley, 17, was shot dead outside a Minneapolis convenience store on Monday afternoon; another person was seriously wounded
- Both victims were members of Republican Lacy Johnson's outreach team
- Johnson, a businessman, is running to unseat Democratic Rep Ilhan Omar
- Police arrested a suspect wanted in connection to the fatal shooting early Thursday after a high-speed chase
A 17-year-old boy who had worked for a Republican congressional candidate running against Democratic Rep Ilhan Omar was shot and killed in an attack outside a gas station on Minneapolis’ north side.
A second person who also had worked for Republican Lacy Johnson was wounded in the shooting on Monday.
Earlier this morning, police in Minneapolis arrested a suspect in the fatal shooting following a high-speed pursuit. He is now in custody but has yet to be named.
Both police and Johnson, a businessman who is seeking to unseat Omar in Minnesota’s Fifth Congressional District in November, said the attack did not appear to have anything to do with politics or the campaign.
The slain teen was identified as Andre Conley. The man who was wounded was hospitalized and was expected to survive.
The Johnson campaign said both Conley and the other victim were members of an outreach team and were not performing campaign duties during the incident.
According to police, the two were standing with a group of people outside the Super USA convenience store at the intersection of North Fremont and Dowling avenues just before 4.30pm approached on foot by the assailant, who opened fire and fled, reported CBS Minneapolis.
First responders rushed both victims to Hennepin Healthcare, where the surviving man is listed in serious but stable condition.
Just before 7am on Thursday, police attempted to pull over a suspect wanted in Conley's killing, reported KARE11.
A police spokesperson said that the man fled, leading officers on a high-speed chase that led down Interstate 394 westbound to northbound Highway 169.
The suspect was eventually apprehended after crashing his car in Plymouth.
'It is shocking and unnecessary acts of violence like this that prove why change is needed now more than ever in our community,' Johnson said. 'The shooting did not occur during a campaign or outreach and we do not believe it has any connection to their work for the campaign.'
Police spokesman John Elder said Wednesday there was nothing to suggest the attack was motivated by politics.
Conley was a senior at Patrick Henry High School, where Principal Yusuf Abdullah mourned the student with a bright smile that could light up a room.
A GoFundMe campaign was launched on Wednesday to help with Conley's final expenses.
'He was loved by his peers, teachers and principal. And loved more than anyone by his mother and father and every single one of his family members,' the description of the fundraiser stated.
The organizer of the campaign later posted an update, saying that at the request of Conley's family, the funds will be given to the surviving victim instead because 'he needs the help more.'
An emotional vigil was held on Wednesday for Conley near the spot where he was gunned down, bringing together family and friends who wished to pay tribute to the teen, reported KARE11.
'My nephew Andre did not deserve this,' said Conley's aunt, Fatemah Green, through tears.
The event was attended by Johnson, who told the crowd that Conley and the other victim had approached his campaign, seeking to do positive things with their lives.
'I'm not blaming anybody else but us,' the GOP candidate said. 'It's us. We got to take care of our own kids, we got to look after our own children.'