- The 24-year-old deputy shot in Compton last week is released from the hospital
- Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office did not provide an update on second deputy
- A 31-year-old female deputy and mother of a 6-year-old was also shot in ambush
- Despite no update, the female deputy is expected to survive, authorities said
- Police are desperately searching for the gunman responsible for the shootings
- Sheriff Alex Villanueva said they have 'promising leads' in search for gunman
A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who was shot in an ambush along with another officer last week has been released from the hospital as investigators say they have 'promising leads' in the manhunt for the gunman.
The 24-year-old deputy was shot when a gunman opened fire into a patrol car in Compton on Saturday night.
Both deputies were struck in the head by gunshots, but miraculously they are expected to survive.
'Great news, one of those deputies was released from the hospital today. He has a long road ahead for recovery. But he's not alone. We, as a community, are in this together,' Sheriff Alex Villanueva said in a statement on Facebook Wednesday evening.
Scroll down for video
Villanueva thanked the public for their prayers and support of the deputies and the sheriff's office, but he didn't provide an update on the second officer.
The sheriff said on Tuesday that investigators have 'promising leads' in the search for the gunman.
'We're on the right path,' Villanueva said, adding that investigators are 'working day and night to identify and arrest these cowards'. Villanueva was referring to a possible getaway driver.
Along with the male deputy, 31-year-old deputy Claudia Apolinar was injured in the ambush. She is a former librarian and mother of a six-year-old child.
Despite taking multiple bullets – one to the face and several to her upper torso – Apolinar managed to get her partner to safety, apply a tourniquet and radio for help.
A photo of the aftermath of the attack shows Apolinar covered in blood while giving medical help to her injured partner.
Video released by cops showed the suspect approaching an LACSD vehicle parked outside the Metro Blue Line station and opening fire before he fled on foot.
Moments after the gunman runs away, the passenger door of the patrol car opens and a deputy stumbles out, pressing a hand to their head. The driver's side door opens soon after.
Authorities said that the deputies, who both graduated from the police academy 14 months ago, each sustained multiple gunshot wounds.
A massive manhunt is underway for that shooter, described as a 28 to 30-year-old black male.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is offering a $100,000 reward for information that leads to his capture. An additional $75,000 was donated by two private individuals.
President Donald Trump said the man who opened fire should face a 'fast trial death penalty' if the deputies die.
The Compton shooting sparked nationwide controversy as bystanders were filmed mocking the bloodied officers at the scene and protesting outside the hospital where they were taken for treatment.
The videos of protesters enraged many critics who said the shooting was the result of anti-police sentiment fueled by a turbulent summer of demonstrations against police brutality.
A GoFundMe page set up for the officers has raised nearly $600,000 as of Thursday morning.