- =The group of eight teenagers found the unidentified body at around 5.40pm Sunday at the deserted Orangeburg County home
- They had been riding four-wheelers nearby when they decided to go into the home, claiming it was haunted
- One of the teens opened the freezer, discovering the body
- Teens described the small as being unbearable and the body as already having maggots
- An autopsy is going to be performed on the body later in the week A group of four-wheel riders stumbled upon a decomposing body found inside the freezer of an abandoned home in South Carolina.
The group of eight teenagers found the unidentified body at around 5.40pm Sunday at the deserted Orangeburg County home.
According to deputies from the Orangeburg County Sheriff's Office, the teens had been riding near the abandoned property and decided to go in as they claimed it was haunted, WACH reports.
One of the teens opened the freezer and discovered the body, after the group went inside the home.
The boy who opened the freezer said that smelled rotten meat and saw what appeared to be a body wearing blue jeans and socks.
After closing the freezer, the teens alerted authorities.
'It was very scary,' Madison Childers, one of the teens, said. 'You couldn't tell it was a person, because... I think it had been in there for months.'
Childers described the smell as being unbearable with the body already badly decomposed.
'There were maggots everywhere,' Childers said.
Corey Antley, another teen who was at the scene, described the group as being overwhelmed by the smell.
'As soon as the seal broke loose, it was just a horrifying smell,' Antley explained. 'It's something you won't forget, really.'
According to Riley Robinson, another witness, they had not expected to come across the gruesome scene.
'I didn't know what to do, I was speechless,' Robinson said. 'I heard that once you smell a human you can't ever forget it. And I can still smell it right now.'
An autopsy will be conducted by the Orangeburg County Coroner's Office, later in the week.